Monday, February 4, 2013

Five months!

Hi Mama!

I kind of can't believe that I'm 5 months old (as we like to say) today. When did that happen? The great thing is that I'll never officially have a 6-month mark because there is no Feb 29th this year. Haha. :) Transfer news is: I'm staying in Chardon, but Sister Ellsworth is being transferred! So I don't have to move houses (for the first time. haha :) ), but I will be getting a new companion. The only thing constant is change. ;) We'll find out where Sister Ellsworth is going tomorrow at transfer meeting, as well as who my new companion will be. Exciting!

Ben and Barb are doing well. They didn't come to church last Sunday because Ben was sick, but they came this past Sunday and loved it. They are so sweet and such good people. Sometimes I struggle to know how to share the gospel with them in a way that will apply to their lives and help them to be excited about living it. But I know that will come as I pray and study. Hopefully. :)

Jacob...well, we haven't been able to get a hold of Nancy since that Sunday. :( We're hoping and praying that we will be able to see them soon. 

This email might be slightly scattered...some favorite talks and quotes from the week: "But For A Small Moment" by Elder Maxwell (speeches.byu.edu). This one is FANTASTIC. Every time I find a new talk I think it's the best one yet, but this one is really, really good. I also re-read Elder Holland's "Cast Not Away Therefore Thy Confidence" which is always so incredible. "Charity Never Faileth" by President Monson was another favorite. Some quotes and things I learned:

"I felt that the cause of truth, the Gospel of Jesus Christ, outweighed every other consideration." --Heber C. Kimball, quoted in the Institute manual "Church History in the Fulness of Times" (the one I used in Sister Black's class--available onlds.org)

"If you feel that you are not loved by Heavenly Father, you are being manipulated by Satan." --Elder Scott

"...Jesus Christ can heal us, even if sometimes we have to go to heaven and be healed there." --from the article about Brigham Reneer in the Feb 2002 Friend :)

Matt. 10:8--we receive callings and blessings for free. Being baptized into the Church did not require a membership fee. We ought to use what we have been blessed with through the gospel to bless others! We can give of our time/talents/etc freely to share those blessings. "As freely, son, as God gave her me." (name it! :) )

1 Ne 3:7 and D&C 1:24--Heavenly Father gives us commandments that are hard on purpose, so that we can learn to rely on Him as He helps us keep them. It's not that we have to keep the commandments and be perfect and then He'll bless us--it's that He helps us every step of the way. Christ is the difference, as Brad Wilcox says. He will help us to keep the commandments He has given us by preparing a way for us to accomplish those things, and giving us the strength and power we need--but only after we ask for it. Ask and ye shall receive. :)

I'd better go for now. I'll write more in a minute if I have time. Love you!!

Love,
Sister Wygant

No comments:

Post a Comment